Monday, April 4, 2011

Tengo Ganas

I don't have much to say tonight except que tengo ganas de estar en Chile ahorita! Translation: I want to be in Chile RIGHT NOW! (Except the "right now" I used is the Mexican ahorita instead of the Chilean altiro... I guess you can tell who's been influencing me in the United States, hehe) Sometimes this very strong desire, almost a need, comes over me to be in Chile with Andrés and living a life there. And it's not just all about Andrés. I mean, of course I want to be with him and he's the main reason I'm moving to another country. Yet that "other country" is not just any country, it's Chile. And I truly like Chile. And I like to imagine myself living there. Life there can be good and it will be good. 


When I was in Chile the first time before I even started dating Andrés, I truly liked the country. Often times people would ask me what I like about it and I still don't fully have an answer. It's hard for me to put into words. What I can say is that I like the people. They have a certain characteristic about them that I can't put my finger on but I like them. I like the food- both the types of food they eat (especially the pan con palta y queso (bread with avocado and cheese) that is often served for both breakfast and dinner!) and the schedule of how they eat. I love going to Mass in Chile. I really enjoy Mass in Spanish and most the Masses I've gone to I've been able to understand the homily- it's like the Holy Spirit comes to help me at every Mass! 


It's those things and so much more that build up this desire in me to move there right now, to not have to wait. And there is that great desire to be with Andrés too. So those two aspects combined make it really hard to wait until August sometimes. I remember the last time I was in Chile, Andrés and I were walking around the mall waiting for a movie to start and we were just chatting and people watching and it was then that it hit me: I really liked Chile. I was no longer thinking that if we get married I would have to live in Chile but rather that I truly wouldn't mind it, in fact, I would enjoy it! That was a breakthrough thought for me and I remember sharing it with Andrés that night. I also remember saying that I would miss Chile and not just him, because it would be a year before I would be back (which it will be just over a year before I get back there). These thoughts I had back then were totally true! The proof is in these feelings have on nights such as tonight. Tengo ganas de estar en Chile.


Oh Chile, nos veremos pronto.

2 comments:

  1. I understand those "ganas". I left and now I want to go back. We'll see. Thanks for linking to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I've been following your blog/story. All I have to say is that even though it hasn't been easy at all, you are very strong- in many different ways! And I'm happy to link to you, I hope that's okay. I'm new to blogging so I don't know what blogger etiquette is on that. P.S. I'm from MN too!

    ReplyDelete