Wednesday, June 15, 2011

92%

Good news first: I grew 22% from last month! That might be my all time high! I have 92% of the $5,000 I need to live in Chile and in the next month in a half I need to get $475 more. That should be doable with working at the golf course each weekend and a dogsitting job. It's amazing that I was able to save this much plus go to visit my family in MN and this is how I did it:
  • Worked two weekends at the golf course which got me about $200 plus tips (I don't remember how much in tips because that was the cash I spent on vacation).
  • I had $1500 saved to pay back the parish for my first trip to Chile for Spanish Immersion School. $500 was set to come off that amount August 15th (that amount comes off for every year I work at the parish) and they moved that date up to August 1st when I'm moving. THEN they forgave another $500. That meant I wrote them a check for $475 and I am so thankful for their generosity and support! So that's $1,025 I got to add.
More good news: While I was in MN my boss called me and said that they had filled my position! Yay! That's one less thing to be anxious about. Andres says I'm the only person he knows who is happy about being replaced. I don't care- it's true! I love my parish and the parishioners and I feel so much better knowing someone is coming who will care for their spiritual needs.

The bad news: The brakes on my car crapped on me today. And when I only need my car to act nice for another month and a half this happens. Boo! The brake light went on and then the brakes started not working so well. I kept praying Hail Mary's in Spanish that I wouldn't hit somebody. But I made it home and walked to buy some brake fluid so I should be able to drive it to the mechanic tomorrow. But this also means that it's going to eat some of my savings. This is what we call Murphy's Law- when you need money or just when you come into it, that's when an emergency will happen to take it away! Actually, my dad says it's my brake line and that it should cost around $120 to replace... let's hope that's true and it will only bring me down to 90%ish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment