Thursday, June 30, 2011

107%

*Update: I apologize if you read an earlier version of this that had some pretty funny typos. I may have learned my lesson to proof-read before posting these. I have now edited those typos. Enjoy!

Guess who made it to her goal? That's right, this girl! I did my budget tonight because tomorrow is the first of the month and I officially have 107% of the money needed to live in Chile! During the early spring months I was seriously doubting if I would make it all, but these past few months I've kicked my budget's butt! Praise the Lord!


And it's really good that I'm going to have excess because I might need it. One thing is I'm going to need $130-$260 extra to renew my passport while in Chile. Another thing is that this money I'm saving should last me for 9 months in Chile. However I would really like to be able to stay for 12 months. So any extra money means I could stay longer. Lastly, it's nice knowing I have extra cushioning in case an emergency happens. Emergency funds make me feel safe and secure. Yay for emergency funds!


And for more good news, it seems like plane ticket prices have gone down! They're still pretty expensive (around $1500) but about $200-$300 less than a few weeks ago. Buying my plane ticket is my next priority- hopefully I'll be able to purchase it in the next couple of days!


Finally I'll leave you with how my funds grew 14% this month. Unfortunately, I don't have any really good tips. Mostly it's because I don't have to pay rent next month and having that extra $500 in the budget makes a big difference. The other way I grew this fund is through my second job working in the snack shop at the golf shop. I don't make a big hourly wage but the money seriously helps. If you know about Dave Ramsey at all, he says to do anything you can to get out of debt, including working an extra job or two. I can see now how that really works. If I wasn't going to Chile, this would be $5,000 extra dollars a year I would be able to pay on my student loans. Now, I'm not sure if Dave Ramsey would advocate my going to Chile before paying off my loans, but that's going to take years and love trumps money! I think he can be happy that I'm not going into more debt by moving to Chile.

1 comment:

  1. Eek! 1500 for a plane ticket? I'm surprised you haven't been able to find anything cheaper. Well, a wise friend once told me to always buy in the beginning of the week as prices usually go up on the weekends, so there's a tip for you :)

    Great job saving up though, you did it!

    ReplyDelete