Monday, May 2, 2011

70%

It's the beginning of a new month which means it's time for a new budget! Have I shared with you all yet how much I love budgeting??? I truly do love it. I think last month though I was a little down about how much I had saved for Chile so far- 56%. But this month that has gone up almost 14% (I did a little rounding because some people can't always handle the number 69). Honestly, when it gets to be the last week of the month I start hoping it goes by super fast so that it can be the first of the next month and I can do my budget.

Last night, it was the first of the month so I dusted off my crappy trusty laptop and opened up my Dave Ramsey software, totally expecting to be rejoicing at my new percentage of savings for Chile. However that's not quite how it happened- in fact I was a bit upset. I did my budget and commenced freaking out. I was only at 53%! How could this be?! I tracked my spending and I hadn't overspent and I had earned more income this month PLUS received a gift of money. No se que paso. I crunched the numbers again and again. I even angrily shut down the Dave Ramsey software and went back to my own excel worksheet thinking I could do the math way better than him. I got to 56% again by cutting out things. I was having an anxiety attack wondering where the money I had earned had gone. I wanted to call my mom but it was 11pm for her and she would have killed me. I called Andres with only one minute left on my calling card- he said he would call me back in a little bit. It was during that "little bit" that it hit me- the money hadn't disappeared, I just forgot that it was already in Chile! That's right, Andres has $750 of mine in Chile (already in chilean pesos) just waiting for me. I added that into the budget and I now have 70% of the $5000 I need to live there. I just need to earn 30% more plus the plane ticket in the three months remaining. Si se puede... yes I can!

So where did this 14% come from this month?
  • I spent about $80 under my income (income is tight- I'm usually not able to save too much from it.
  • I received a $200 dollar gift from parishioners who were in a Bible study with me. Their gift was totally unexpected and their generosity blows me away. I am so thankful for the parishioners here- and not just because they give me money!
  • I had two dogsitting jobs amounting to about $140
  • I cashed in a $50 savings bond
  • I sold a piece of furniture for $30
This month I'm looking to grow my savings by having two more dog-sitting jobs, by receiving a $90 rebate from my FSA for contacts I bought last month and I hope to start working at the golf course on the weekends like I have the past two summers. Bring on the tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment